Re: high idle...Please help

At 21:46 5/11/97 -0400, you wrote:
>Yesterday on my way home, I let the clutch out at an intersection and my
car idled at 2000 rpm's. Normally it is at 1000, but now it was at 2000. It
started to overheat too. Normally, when idling, the temp won't go past the
first dot on the guage, but now it was beyond that and heading for the last
dot. It never did that before. Later on, I found that it would only idle at
2000 if I turned on the air conditioner or heater. The blower was at one and
I didn't realize it. Once I turned it off, the rpm's dropped back down to
one. And now the car will overheat real quick. Anybody know why. Thanks.

My '83 acted something like this when I first got it. The previous owner
said the engine started acting wierd suddenly
while driving on the expressway. It ran like a pig under load, and
overheated, but the idle was smooth. All it needed was the ignition timing
reset - looked like the timing belt jumped a tooth or two on the
intermediate shaft. I replaced the timing belt soon after discovering that...

Chuck Kuecker

ckuecker@mcs.net

'83 Scirocco
'58 Ghia Convert