Found engine code/ Shopping update

You guys:  Thanks for the help.

I found the mysterious code on the 1.6. Yep - EJ  (No, it wasn't too
filthy to read, I just wasn't looking in the right place.)

The 1.8 I went to see is indeed a JH.  Said he had put a new head
gasket, valve cover g. and timing belt on it.  Came from a wrecked Scir
owned by a customer of his.  He was going to put it in another car, but
said he never got a round tuit.  (I never get those either.)  He said he
had done a tuneup on it a few months before it was wrecked, and it was
running alright then.  It has not been cleaned.

Jay- I have no idea about air shrouded injection (?)

He wants $400, and it's within driving distance, so I'd pay no shipping.
BUT he won't give a guarantee.  BOOO :(

My regular mechanic suggested asking the guy to crank the engine, and
when I asked the guy about that, he seemed like he would be willing.
(Like, if I go back next week with some cash.)

My god, by next week, I'll have changed my mind about what engine to put
in what car!

On a side note:  Sitting there when I walked in was a shiny, perfect
little VW truck, non-diesel.  Of course, it belongs to the mechanic.

Gail
--
M+G Houston  houston9@ih2000.net
90 Corr, Autotech Stage 1, 105,000mi