Determining Engine Code

I am going to look at a 1.8 8v longblock tomorrow.  How can I determine
what the engine code is?

I ask because on the phone the man couldn't tell me what the code was,
just that the engine was from an 82 or 83 Scirocco, he thinks.

On my stock 1.6, I have looked in vain for a two-letter designation; I
can only find numbers on the front of the block.  I am concerned that
the engine I am going to look at tomorrow might not have such a code on
it either.

He said the oil pan was damaged also.  Will my 1.6 oil pan fit it?

TIA,
Gail
--
M+G Houston  houston9@ih2000.net