Re: Black gold

In a message dated 97-05-08 10:40:24 EDT, byoshida@zygote.hsc.usc.edu (Benton
Yoshida) writes:

<<
 Been seeing posts advocating high viscosity oils recently.  Is using 5W-30
 and 10W-30 oils asking for trouble in a stock 1.7L motor during the summer?
 I thought the low viscosity was better for start up protection.  Secondly,
 is a heavier weight oil harder to pump and therefore
 going to take it's toll on the oil pump?  I don't know how the oil pressure
 sender works, so do different weight oils give different oil pressure
 readings?

 Anyone here using a pre-luber?  Will these make motors last forever?  HYH
 (Hope You Help).   benton-------

On VW's oil charts 15W has the best climate covage for all 8v and 16v gas
engines.
DON'T use less than that if your climate is above 50 deg. 20w is great for
the higher temps but is not nessary because its max climate point is the same
as 15W.
Power to Mobil 1 15w, Castrol Sythetic Blend 20W, or Kendall 15W petro.

I've noticed that if you use Synthetic oil in VW's and you normally run 15w
goto the next weight higher, with the exception of MOBIL.
I don't use singal grade oils at all unless it's air cooled.

Steve
MAINElyVW1@aol.com
Mainely Metric