Re: changing shift levers

At 20:56 5/5/97 -0700, you wrote:
>Hey folks!  Here's the deal, I recently wanted to cut down my stock
>Scirocco shifter, but the stick both bends and widens as it nears the
>bottom.  So I went to a local wrecking yard and picked up a coupla
>parts.  One was the shift stick from an 84 Jetta.  The other  was a
>shift stick from an 88 Fox.  The Jetta shifter looks more like the one
>off my car, but it's old and crusty.  The one off the Fox is MINT, much
>shorter than either the Jetta's or Rocco's, but I'm not sure if it fits
>into the stock locale.  Any thoughts?  Although the Jetta's shifter is
>in really rough shape, it can be fixed (plus it is the same width from
>top to bottom, therefore I can cut and weld, and it won't look like
>shite.  Thanx.
>
>jason

The important point is distance from the pivot ball to where the shift rod
attaches. If it's the same, any cutting and welding you do above the floor
pan won't foul up the linkage..Sounds like a neat mod! You should be able
to get the lever into the Scirocco mount with little trouble.

By the way - does it matter if I cc 'Scirocco', as I just did? Seems like
most of my posts get there anyway...

Chuck Kuecker

ckuecker@mcs.net

'83 Scirocco