changing shift levers

Hey folks!  Here's the deal, I recently wanted to cut down my stock
Scirocco shifter, but the stick both bends and widens as it nears the
bottom.  So I went to a local wrecking yard and picked up a coupla
parts.  One was the shift stick from an 84 Jetta.  The other  was a
shift stick from an 88 Fox.  The Jetta shifter looks more like the one
off my car, but it's old and crusty.  The one off the Fox is MINT, much
shorter than either the Jetta's or Rocco's, but I'm not sure if it fits
into the stock locale.  Any thoughts?  Although the Jetta's shifter is
in really rough shape, it can be fixed (plus it is the same width from
top to bottom, therefore I can cut and weld, and it won't look like
shite.  Thanx.

jason
87 16V (these cars look soooo badass!!!)