idle screw

I know this is probably a basic question but my 87 16 volt has a
tempermantal idle and i have been trying to adjust it but it have
anything of it. Here's the story, after the tensioner i had to have it
retimed and it was 6 degrees retarded and the mechanic (who by the way
had never seen anything made by VW that wasnt air cooled, i live in iowa
remember) had to reset the idle to what bentley said was factory for
timing purposes. So now it was idling at 600rpm, too low for my liking
because the car always sounded like it was on the verge of dying and
made a frighting low clunking while it rocked on collapsed motor mounts.
So today i attempted to change the idle using the screw located on the
back of the throttle body up to 1100, was this right? It fixed the idle
for awhile but later today it resumed its gasping shudder. Once i had
had it with that and pulled over to recheck the screw it picked up to
1200-1300. Have screwed this thing up or what. And also how much does a
new o2 sensor cost, I believe it is suspect also, car has 173000 miles
on it.Thank you for your time.

shannon