Where have all the Scirocco's gone?

I was at the local Ecology yard Saturday (for those non-California folks,
that's a local pick-your-own-parts auto wrecker) and saw something very
disturbing. They participate in the California Old Car Buy-Back program. This
is where the state funds the purchase of old, presumably-smog-producing cars
for $500.00 each and then crushes them. There was a guy with a very nice,
very straight '81 "S" model turning it in. Mars Red, all original but faded,
excellent candidate for an enthusiast. I asked why he was sending it to its
death, he said it was too high in miles to expect anyone to buy it so he was
going this route. I told him there were Scirocco enthusiasts who would kill
for the car, and he should sell it to someone who will keep it on the road.
He didn't believe me, and didn't want to sell it to me, either. Hell, I'd
have given him more than the $500.00 they were going to pay, but he wouldn't
do it. What a putz! Kind of made me think, though. Is this the fate of many
Scirocco's? Sad to see this happen. There won't be any left if this kind of
thing continues.
As an ironic side note, he told me they require the car to be smogged or they
won't accept it in the buy-back program. Keep in mind that this is a program
which is designed to get the excessive polluters off the road. You'd think
they'd want the cars that FAIL the smog tests, or at least that would follow
logic. What kind of B.S. is that all about?! Looks a bit odd, wouldn't you
say?

Todd