Miscellaneous spewings

I wasn't knocking VW motors when I mentioned the possibility of a turbo'd
Mitsubishi motor in a Scirocco.  And I thought that it might possibly be
mounted longitudinally since there are AWD versions of the cars.  I've
heard about these naturally aspirated 12 second watercooled VW drag cars.
Anyone know how they build up these cars and whether they are streetable?

Regarding comraderie among Scirocco owners: I can't recall anyone
waving/smiling/hi-fiving me.  Or trying to race me for that matter.  Just
one guy in a Mustang telling me, "I hate Scirocco's, get a FORD!!!"  Little
did he know that I just got rid of my cruddy Mustang II for the Scirocco.
Anyway, maybe my car looks too crummy to wave to, or *gasp* could it be
me?!  Plus, I live in L.A. where the wrong wave or look could get more than
your airbox swiss-cheezed.  Also, I see anywhere from two to 6 or more
Scirocco's everyday so maybe a sighting is no big deal.  Are Scirocco's
this common in everyone else's neck o' the woods?

When did this anti-Honda stuff start?  Did it start with the original
Civic?  CRX?  The last generation Civic coupe?  I see plenty of "roller
skate" Sentra's and Tercel's but they don't seem to attract the collective
VW ire.

And while I'm making myself unpopular, may I suggest Sport Compact Car as a
worthy read?  Sure, most of the focus is on Japanese cars but VW's and
other European marques get their due as well.  Plus they have an RC modeler
column as well.  Drag racing gets a lot of coverage but so does
autocrossing.  As expected, there are a lot of ads for wings big enough to
get a tank airborne as well as for enough "coffee cans" to store a year's
supply of Columbia's finest, but one might be surprised to see the number
of ads for performance enhancing products.  And the project and featured
cars have the same stuff done to them as do the cars in EC; the project
doesn't end with the application of stickers and a thumpin' sound system.
In short there is a lot that appeals to the backward-cap-wearing crowd
(none of you folks I trust) but there is a lot of serious performance info
as well.  A sorta disturbing trend I've noticed is that I'm seeing less and
less relevant VW stuff in EC and seeing more in SCC.  Oh well.

benton----