Re: oil leak. Help!

At 21:48 3/22/97 +0000, you wrote:
>There seem to be oil leaking under my tranny near the inner CV joint.
>How can I tell if it's tranny oil or motor oil?  What does this
>represent in terms of labor? Is it a seal gone bad?
>
>Thanks for all your help,
>
>Frank

Transmission oil usually has a pretty pungent odor - at least 'hypoid'
oil does. Automatic transmission fluid should be easy to spot, watery and red.
Motor oil should smell like what's on the dipstick..

It's probably the seal on the output shaft from the differential. Never took
one apart, but I think the Bentley manual describes how to replace these.

Chuck Kuecker

ckuecker@mcs.net

'83 Scirocco
'58 Ghia Convert