Re: contol arm bolts

At 04:24 3/30/97 EST, you wrote:
>hi,
>
> i was wondering if the thread that the control-arm bolts fit into are
>replaceble? it looks to me like it's part of the car's frame?!?
> i removed the bolts to change the bushings and noticed that one of the
>bolts has "squished" threads. i might try to tap the hole, but i'd rather
>not, the whole suspension is relying on these bolts, 'don't want to see one
>of these fly off on the highway.
>

>-nigel
>86 Scirocco 8v.

If you can find the exact same thread tap, you can use it to 'chase' the
treads in
the frame. You need to be sure it goes squarely into the original threads,
and not let it
start to cut new ones - THAT would ruin them for sure. 'Chasing' simply
cleans off
the burrs and mashed areas in the threads. After you do this, you can examine
the threads and determine whether they are damaged too badly. In any case, it's
a good idea to get new bolts from the dealer, so you know they are the proper
grade and quality.

Did the bolt come out easily, sloppily, or very tight? Sometimes, somebody with
lots of muscle and little sense gets a bolt cross-threaded and manages to
force it
all the way in despite the sound of tearing metal and the fact the bolt is
getting
hot due to friction. It might hold wonderfully, but the next person who
wants to
remove it finds it almost 'welded' into the nut. If it came out sloppy loose,
it's possible somebody botched a 'chase' earlier and put the damaged bolt
back in.

It should take a fair amount of force to break the bolt loose, but it should
come out
fairly smoothly once it is broken loose. Also, remember to put anti-sieze or oil
on bolts before you put them back. In the case of bolts needing to be
torqued, the
torque will be wrong if the bolt is dirty or not properly lubed.

If the thread appears ruined after you chase it, you might be able to salvage it
by installing a threaded insert or 'helicoil' to replace the damaged thread.
You can
do this yourself if you can get the special tools.

VW dealers or any good shop should be able to do this if required.

Chuck Kuecker

ckuecker@mcs.net

'83 Scirocco
'58 Ghia Convert