Re: contol arm bolts

At 10:25 AM -0700 03/30/1997, Roccet@aol.com wrote:
>If you find this a Problem I can Mfg something for you !!<<< run a Machine
>Shop and make Parts For VWs on the side.

The threaded insert is inside the frame, essentially.  My Bentley shows the
method for replacement of the insert - it involves cutting out part of the
"frame," R&R the "nut," and rewelding the patch back on.  With the control
arm out, you can clearly see the threaded insert - have you tried a new
bolt?  One of my c-arm bolts came out while driving once, it sorta messed
up the threads, but a new bolt and initial reinstallation without the
c-arm, then careful reinstall proved to be the answer.  I've had it out
several times since, no problems.  Replacing the threaded insert/nut is
expensive, hopefully, a fresh bolt will cure the problem.  Thread the bolt
in without the c-arm in place first, or better yet, chase the threads -
don't tap the insert, just clean it out.  The control arm has to be
properly located to get the bolt back in.  Also, have the car up on
jackstands at the same height - if only one wheel is off the ground, the
body does flex.  If you are installing a lower stressbar, this is even more
important.  Hope this helps!

Mannix