Re: Amp gauge

At 12:46 PM 3/26/97 -0700, vegabond@netcom.com wrote:
>Since no one seems to know how to hook up an amp gauge, do any of the
>manuals cover this subject?  I checked my Haynes and a Bentley and they
>don't seem to have it.

The ammeter wiring must be inserted into the current path you
wish to measure.  This should probably be the accessory or keyon
circuit, which I believe is #15 (?).  The wiring should be as heavy a
guage as those in the main line feeding that circuit from the ignition
switch.  any less will cause excess heat in the line feeding the meter,
among other potential problems.  I personally feel that installation of
such an item is not to be taken lightly.  The entire electrical system of
your car depends upon it.  I once owned a car with an aftermarket
ammeter installed.  One day without warning the wires heated up and
shorted to the ground side of the aftermarket oil pressure sender.
They had installed the ammeter in the alternator path, and this was on
a classic American car with separate voltage regulator!  Anyway, the
result was a lot of smoke and the potential for a serious fire considering
that the wires had been run a little too close to the carburetor (tied to
that oil pressure sender wire).

In other words, be very careful in your installation of such a device.
Poor connections can also cause wiring to heat up due to increased
current - connections become resistive.  Use heavier guage wire if
you like, and secure connections by soldering or crimping your spade
lugs properly.

Now that I think about it, seems I posted a similar response last fall :)

Miles Lott, SBE CBET
(mailto:milos@insync.net)
93 Corrado SLC, 82 Scirocco