Ack, I cried!

My new (used) '86 'rocco blew a fuel pump fuse today for no apparent reason.

I understand there are three things on this circuit - the fuel pump,
fuel-pressure-equalizer-thingy, and a cold/hot air flow thingy.  The two
thingy's have tested OK, and the fuel pump appears to be working normally. I
also don't see any shorts in the wiring..

...is it possible a plugged fuel filter could put a strain on the fuel pump,
which would blow the fuse?  I _just_ bought the car a week ago, after it had
sat in a Ford dealership used car lot for (presumably) a long time.  I
replaced the fuel filter, among many other common-maintenance parts
immediately after buying it, but the fuel system may have 'cleaned' itself
out after the last few days of driving, and the filter may be plugged.

I'm just wondering if this is a possibility, as I don't presume fuel pumps
and the afore mentioned 'thingy's' are terribly cheap.

Cheers,
-- Mike Helms