Re: shifter/tranny match

> > I have a 1977 Scirocco with 1.6L and four-speed tranny.  I also have a
> > five-speed tranny that I've been assured will work.  So the
> > question is, do I need a new shifter to use the five-speed?  Are there any
> > modifications that I need to do to the shifter or linkage?

> Not a problem.  I've done this swap before.  As long as the tranny is from the
> same era, they'll be no issues. What's it from?

I think it's from a '78 Scirocco, but who knows?  I bought it from a mechanic, and
that's what he told me.  It's even got a mount attached to it!

> For appearances, get a shift knob with a '5th' on it though. :-)

I got one!  When I bought my car, it had a five-speed knob attached to it for some
reason, but only a four-speed tranny.  :(  I'm really glad this swap will work; this
car needs a five speed really badly, especially considering my driving habits.  Now
if I can just get a chance to work on it...It rains a lot here in W. Va. in March
and April!

Thanks for the responses!

Carlee
Carlee