Rabbit Windshield

Hey Everybody!
Sorry for the non scirocco post but I'm sure one of you might be able to help
me with this.  I have an 83 gti and the windshield has been badly cracked for
a few years.  Well, I came across a free windshield from an earlier car that
is the "rubber gasket" kind.  Will it work where my "glue in" windshield once
was???or do I need to go find a glue in replacement???   Thanks in advance.

DAN MAY
8716v Scirocco
83 GTI