Re: Euro Bumpers!

>	Euro bumpers DO give protection in a collision.  After all, they
>work fine for the non-US world.  The reason the US bumpers are so huge is
>to meet the Fed's 5mph collision requirement (which is meant to keep insurance
>claims down).  Think about it...how many times have you ever been hit or
>hit something???  When was the last time you hit a wall at 5mph?  The fact
>is, if you're a good driver i.e. AWARE, you shouldn't have any problems.

I doubt that sincerely.  I am an aware driver, and hey, I'm not so "bad"
from a performance standpoint, either.  I was making a 3 point turn in a
driveway in front of my house last winter, and looked up the hill - no
traffic, I was aware that there might be cars coming down the hill.  Backed
out, some stupid college girl plowed into my bumper.  Left 20'+ skidmarks.
My section of street is not too long, but there had been no one in sight,
then bam!  she hit me.  I asked her if she was "going a little fast" and
she said "only 35."  In a residential zone marked at 20?  Only 35.  She
bent my bumper, grazed the rear corner of my car - if I'd had euro bumpers,
IE, right next to the body, my taillight would have been broken, and
probably a dent, as the bumper would not have collapsed 4".  Replacing the
bumper mount was trivial, I would have been really bent out of shape if she
had damaged the CAR.  Her Acura did not fare so well, her bumper was
broken, headlight/directional broken, and fender dented.  No euro bumpers
for me!

Mannix (glad it was not a Pavementfinder.......)