Re: Vibration

>Hi Chris,
>
>You say your motor mounts are polyeurethane?  Do you race with your
>Scirocco?  I'm sure you're aware (??) those aren't exactly the best
>kinds for everday use.  Actually they're widely discouraged because they
>offer such a bad ride.  Why did you choose to change yours to
>polyeurethane?  You're right, your shakes may well continue.  Ahh well,
>such is life....

Whoah--I just said my tranny mount.  My front mount is HD, and the other two
are OEM.  So that's not a bad setup.  The tranny mount undergoes the most
flex (they are the ones broken most often) so that's why I like the poly
tranny mount.  It does transmit some vibration, but I think I get a lot more
power to the ground.  A good exchange.  The same principle that we use for
modifying in every other area--sacrifice comfort for handling/performance.

Do I race?  Not as much as I'd like to.  I make it to about 5-10
autoX's/year, and my performance reflects it ;-)  Anyway, it's kinda hard
when I'm in school and stuff.  When I'm not in school, I'm always working to
buy more performance parts, so it's tough.

All in all, I think the tranny mount is a good switch (to poly).  Changing
the other mounts to poly isn't really necessary, and would give you a much
harsher ride for minimal performance gains, so I'd never do the set.

Chris Taylor
'87 Scirocco G60-dreamer-wanna-be
(I changed it to that so Shawn Meze wouldn't have to take so
  much time out of his day to keep changing my signature to that
  and sending it back to me)

Virginia Polytechnic Institute
     and State University
   College of Engineering