cracked frame

hi,

well, i'm in the midst of changing : 2 ball joints, 2 tie rods ends, 2 front
wheel bearings and the a-arm bushings. while i was under there i noticed a
CRACK in my frame (sighh!!, i'm gonna cry). i guess that's why my lower
stress bar (the 16v one) improved my handling so much. how do these cracks
happen?? the only time i hit a curb was last winter, going about 10kph on
ice, it knocked the ecentric bold out of alignment, but the a-arm had no
damage, could this be the cause?? i have neuspeed lowering springs w/ pro
gas, but they aren't that rough even on montreal roads.

the crack doesn't look that big, but there is metal warpage too, is this
fixable? it's located ...hmmm, you know the two posts that the front bumper
fits into, well the one on the driver side, just behind the air-flow meter.
is it worth fixing anyways? won't be able to upgrade the engine or anything
later without the car falling to bits.

nigel.
86 Scirocco 8v, in need of a miracle.