April EC-16V Buyer Guide

VanAm wrote:

> I just got my April issue of EC today.  Yeah yeah the one that you guys
> have received, read, and stuffed into the EC collection by now.  ;-)
> It takes a while for them to get here, unfortunately.  But anyway,
> was anyone else a bit disappointed with the Scirocco 16V buyers' guide?
> I don't think it went far enough in detail about what to look out for.
> Remember the A1 GTi buyers' guide they had a year or two ago?  Now
> THAT was detailed.  I think the 16V article should of been 'cost
> effective Scirocco 16V upgrades', and not referred to as a buyers'
> guide.
>
> Another thing...they claim 123 top speed (or 122 depending where you
> look in the article).  Is this true or is this a conservative
> manufacturer's claim?  My 8V does 128 mph on 'die Autobahnen'.
> Maybe I have a taller fifth gear?  Has anyone had their 16V over 123?
>
> OK, I'm done now.  ;-)
>
> -Mike
> 89 Scirocco Scala
>
> -Mike

Hi Mike,

	In regards to your 8V EUROPEAN version GTI going 128 mph, you've pretty
much answered your own question.  I do believe the European versions of
all VWs don't have the tiresome "governor" the US spec models do.  I've
only seen 125 mph out of my Scirocco and that's because I was all alone
on a stretch of Nevada road on the way to Vegas.  Let's face it, we can
gear our vehicles for speed all we like but the question remains, how
often will be get to use it?  In Germany, where you are Mike, that's an
everyday option...in the States, it's almost a pipe dream.

	The European Car quote of 123 mph being the Scirocco's top speed is a
little conservative but it's a pretty close "guesstimate" of a stock
version.

** Finally figured out how to post messages to this blasted board :)

Steph Gill