Re: April EC-16V buyer guide

>Another thing...they claim 123 top speed (or 122 depending where you
>look in the article).  Is this true or is this a conservative
>manufacturer's claim?  My 8V does 128 mph on 'die Autobahnen'.
>Maybe I have a taller fifth gear?  Has anyone had their 16V over 123?

Well, there are many factors to take into consideration here.  First and
foremost, inaccurate speedo's.  Secondly, tire circumference.  My
195/15/50ZR's are *slightly* larger than stock, so whatever speed I
read--I'm going just a hair faster.  Third, body modifications such as
lowering the ride height for a bit less wind resistance.  Fourth,
performance modifications.  Fifth, different 5th gear.

I only had a *stock* 16v for a few months before it was *altered* in these
ways.  I hit 125 or so a few times, and then quickly backed off (while it
was stock) because there just isn't enough assurance that you won't get
caught.  There are no 'smooth straight backroads' near me, so I have to use
the interstates late at night when I want to fly.  Interstates = cops.

Anyway, with my present mods (most of which have been sold :-( ), I have hit
130-135 many many times.  I have the .80 fifth gear now.  I shift out of 4th
@ 110mph, and fifth is doggin' it until i get it back up into the power
band, which is in the high 120's (takes forever).  THen it picks up again
HEAVILY.  I hit 135 in seconds, and then let off (chicken!!!).  I'd say that
I could do 140 if I had the nads, but I don't....

Chris Taylor
'87 Scirocco G60-to-be

Virginia Polytechnic Institute
     and State University