Re: TECH: HP at the crank...

At 08:47 AM 3/14/97 -0600, you wrote:

>I gotta get picky - HP is 'energy' - that is force times distance times
>time. Different gear ratios
>change both the force and distance, but proportionally. HP ought to remain
>the same.
>TORQUE sure will change..

        Thats unfortunately not the case.  Gears have an efficiency and none
have a 100% efficiency, that is hp in to hp out.  To determine the friction
losses you have to figure out the sliding velocity. Different types of gears
(straight cut, bevel, worm, etc) have different efficiencies. SO horsepower
definitely changes.  Plus factor in friction losses by bearings, shaft
seals, and the oil "churning" in the transalxe the efficiency of the system
becomes even less.

>I hope the clutch slippage is minimal - as all the HP lost here goes to
>heating up the
>clutch...Last one i had slipping was a '93 Mazda MX3 (fast, but NO SOUL)

        You know Chuck, I have said that for years about Japanese vehicles,
they are fast, they ride nice, but they have no flippin' soul.  It is like
driving a mush box, everything is nice and mushy, so you don't know whats
going on around you.
        My friend and I used to get into that conversation Japanese cars and
he always countered my attack by saying that he never had to do any
maintenence to his Geo.  Well I would rather feel the road and fix my car
than drive forever in a semi-catatonic state induced by my senseless Geo.

>Chuck Kuecker
>
>ckuecker@mcs.net

					DOM!
					1980 VW Scirocco S in DM