Re: TECH: HP at the crank...

At 05:33 PM 3/14/97 -0500, you wrote:
>I.Mannix wrote:
>>
>> Yup, my intake manifold is quite ported.  Took a boatload of material out.
>> I cleaned up the head a smidge, but nothing much, and well within the 1"
>> rule.   Intake is free, y'know!  Do whatever the hell you want there - tape
>> 4 toilet paper tubes to the backside of your throttlebody, if'n ya think
>> that's going to make you faster!
>
>I am curious as to how you did this?  What tool did you use?  Has anyone
>else done this?
>Thanks
>Josh Clark

        I wouldn't do this hap-hazardly.  If you gut the intake too much you
will lose horsepower.  This is because you lose velocity of the incoming
gas.  Plus intake ports need to have a rougher finish than the exhaust side,
it helps to keep the fuel/air mixture a mixture and not two seperate entities.
        If you are going to port and polish a head, I suggest just cleaning
up the casting flashes.  The best way to get a P&P job is to have it done by
someone who has a flow bench so that improvements/failures are seen right
away.  Or have it done by someone with alot of experience porting heads.

					DOM!
					1980 VW Scirocco S in DM
					1983 Alfa Romeo GTV-6
					1986 Kawasaki 600 Ninja