Re: TECH: HP at the crank...

At 01:15 PM 3/14/97 -0700, you wrote:

>>Whats this?? A ported intake in DSP?? GASP!! Gads, you sure you didnt mean
>>"port matched"??
>
>Yup, my intake manifold is quite ported.

Nice save!! Beautiful recovery!! :)
I was thinking you ported the intake on your head. That would be a no-no.
Right? Cant touch the engine. Nope, wouldnt be prudent. Cant go there......
heh-heh-heh...

>Took a boatload of material out.
>I cleaned up the head a smidge, but nothing much, and well within the 1"
>rule.   Intake is free, y'know!  Do whatever the hell you want there -

So did you port match the ends of the runners on the manifold? I did that on
my motor before I rebuilt the head. I used an electric drill with a port &
polish kit from of all places, JC Whitney. (It was before I knew better, and
it was cheaper than I could of gotten it locally, at the time.)  Now that I
have the larger TB I see where I need to remove the material on the manifold
for the air to flow more smoothly past the TB. Id LOVE to send my other
manifold (I've got like 3 intake manifolds) out to be extrude honed. That
would be great but its expensive as hell and its also eligal. Maybe i'll take
Dr. Dremmel to my other manifolds and open them up and give the outside a nice
polished alumnium job while im at it. hey, im rambling...ramblin.....

>Yeah, me too - hopefully, around 110 corrected at the flywheel, hopefully -
>I don't want to have to do an engine rebuild anytime soon!  I'll let you
>all know!

The math available to me on whats in my car says about 115hp to the crank.
Gawd, I gotta find me a dyno somewhere!! Id like to know for sure. I have
noticed within the last couple days that since I have cut the bottom end out
of my airbox, my car loves cool nights. Runs so strong. In the warm daytime
hours its sorta slugish. I think I will hafe to have a winter airbox setup and
a summer airbox setup. (One open, one swisscheezed) YMMV

>Mannix (still trying to clean up all the remnants of my intake manifold, it
>went EVERYWHERE!)

Thats a definate downside to it. Messy as messy marvin can make it. Its shop
Vac time!

Shawn