O2 sensors, which one?

I remember a few months ago (although it's probably a recurring thread)
there was some talk about VW versus Bosch, OE versus generic o2 sensors.
Someone said something about a Ford O2 sensor being compatible and
cheaper, a different VW sensor which also worked and was cheaper, and the
generic Bosch 2 and 3 wire units.  Since I'm a total moron, I didn't
bother saving any part numbers or specifics.  Did anyone else save
anything from this thread, or have anything to help me with?

BTW it's a 16v, and the O2 sensor I have now is a 3 wire unit of unknown
age. Minimum 50,000km though....

On an O2 related note, let's say some of the wires are frayed (insulation
stripped), and the sensor is in a position where snow could accumulate
around the bare wires while driving.  Would this possible short cause a
hot running problem?  Specifically, if I'm driving in slush the engine
will basically shut down.  It will not hold any rpm (although it will rev
if I work the throttle), and barely keeps an idle.  Cap, wires, and coil
are NOT the problem.

Thanks for any and all assistance, as always.....

 ----
"The desired effect is what you get when you improve your interplanetary
 funksmanship"         -George Clinton