Re: O2 sensors, which one?

Hi Riley:

At 04:51 PM 3/13/97 -0800, you wrote:

>I remember a few months ago (although it's probably a recurring thread)
>there was some talk about VW versus Bosch, OE versus generic o2 sensors.
>Someone said something about a Ford O2 sensor being compatible and
>cheaper, a different VW sensor which also worked and was cheaper, and the
>generic Bosch 2 and 3 wire units.  Since I'm a total moron, I didn't
>bother saving any part numbers or specifics.  Did anyone else save
>anything from this thread, or have anything to help me with?

Bosch tends to price it's sensors by what car they're going in,
bad news for German car owners.

In 1-wire sensors there is very little price difference between the
origibal Bosch direct fit unit (has correct plug) and the Bosch universal
fit (no plug).

But, when you get into the 3-wire sensors Bosch does not
officially offer a universal 3-wire sensor, just the dierct fit ones.
There is, however, another Bosch 3-wire sensor for Ford models that
will work fine with the VW K-Jetronic system, and the price is less
than half. All you have to do is cut off the Ford style plug and splice
in some wire and the plug from your olf VW sensor. I recommend
soldering the connection and using shrink tubing to seal the splice.

Anyone wanting more info or pricing can email me directly. Hope
this info helps,

Mark
Adirondack Auto Brokers
"Your VW/Porsche Parts Source"