Rebuilding a shortblock

Since my G60 has most likely been hammered, I'd like to give it a lil' tune
up before i install it.  i.e. a complete gasket/seal set, and rebuilding the
shortblock.

For those of you who dont' know, the G60 is a beefed up 1.8L 8v.

Re: the shortblock---I guess I need piston rings, rod bushings, and crank
bearings?  Do I need any experience/tools to do this?  Can I really screw
this up?  I've never peeked into an engine.  Is a "hone on the electric
drill, go up and down the cylinders a few times" an okay idea?

Anyone have any tips/do's/don'ts?

I've heard that it's not bad for a DIY project and I don't feel like
spending any cash that I don't have to.

Chris Taylor
'87 Scirocco G60-to-be

Virginia Polytechnic Institute