Re: fuel pump relay switch

On Thu, 13 Mar 1997, lee drozdenko <ldrozden@ebm.com> wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I'm new to the group.   I've seen some past posts about the fuel pump relay
>switch.  Does the actual switch in place of the relay actually stop the
>fuel pump from pumping gas (ie keep the pump from pressurizing)?

>From a fellow newbie--Welcome!  As for your questions, yes, it will keep the
pump from pressurizing, as long as it's off, of course.  All you're really doing
is substituting manual control for automatic.

>Would the
>pump keep pressure even if the switch was off?

If I'm correct, pressure is stored in the fuel accumulator when the pump isn't
running; I'm not sure if newer Sciroccos have this, but my '77 does.  I could
easily be wrong about this, so someone correct me if I am!

>If the car hit something and had power to it, would the pump still pump gas
>until the switch was turned off?

Yep.  As long as the battery and cables were intact, you'd still have flow from
the pump.  Kinda gives you pause, doesn't it?  I've heard of people using it
though, and I'd try it if I couldn't get a relay quickly.  Heck, something could
easily go wrong inside the relay and have the same effect.  Admittedly, that's
way less likely, but it could happen...

Carlee