fuel pump relay switch

Hello,

I'm new to the group.   I've seen some past posts about the fuel pump relay
switch.  Does the actual switch in place of the relay actually stop the
fuel pump from pumping gas (ie keep the pump from pressurizing)?  Would the
pump keep pressure even if the switch was off?
If the car hit something and had power to it, would the pump still pump gas
until the switch was turned off?  Thanks,

				Lee
				'88 GTI-16V
				'96 Jetta-Trek
				'69 Jeep CJ-5