Question about temp. sending unit

I have you fooled. I am not talking about oil/water temp, but about the
outside temperature sending unit --I decided that putting a VDO clock as a
6th gauge would be kind of silly...

Supposing I will be able to install another row of 3 gauges, I was
thinking of putting the VDO outside temp. gauge alongside the water temp
and the ammeter. My question is:
Obviously you can't put the sensor underneath the hood. Nor at a spot
like the trunk, since it will be a million degrees there over the summer.
That leaves us with the outside of the car. Since many cars nowadays
have such sensors, I am wondering how they are protected from wind-chill
coefficients. One idea I had was fastening the sensor on the insides of my
power mirrors, where they would be covered by the plastic of the mirror.
Any of you know of reliable spots to put such a sensor?

Thanks,
	Ilias