Re: brakes again

At 02:04 AM 3/4/97 -0800, you wrote:
>Hey all (not y'all), I can't find that string of messages on brakes from
>a couple of weeks ago.  I was wondering if there is a real great
>advantage with the larger disc brakes?

In the world of brakes, bigger is better.

>I just have the stock discs in
>the front(what size? 9.4"?) and drums in the rear with generic pads and
>shoes.  The car seems to have all the stopping it needs around town when
>the brakes get warmed up.  The problem is the fading while driving and
>braking hard for about 30 min on the twistin dirt mountain roads,(like to
>pretend its sorta like a rally since I'm too lazy to get my act together
>to race in one).  They last for about 15 min then they get scary.  I
>think it was Shawn that gave the run down on about three different pads.
> What were they and what was the conclusion?  I think that my brakes
>would be adequate if they didn't fade so bad.  Can I get much better
>performance, 20%? 30%?, from just better pads?

This might be a shocker for some people but simply changing the brake fluid from
a dot3 fluid to a dot 4-5 like Castrol GTLMA fluid will sometimes eliminate much
of the brake fade you experience. (WOW Really!!) Yup.
This partictular fluid has a very high boiling point and is resistant to
absorbing moisture, AKA H2o. (very bad for brakes!) There is the super blue
brake fluid that is, from my understandings, a racing fluid. It has an even
higher boiling point but is prone to moisture absorption. All that means is you
will have to flush the fluid every few months. I fluck mine about every 6, just
for piece of mind. (Because I beat the hell out of my brakes! thats why!)

>What about
>crossed drilled/ slotted/ gouged with a chisel  rotors? much gain there?

For everyday street use, slotted is the ticket. Crossdrilled tends to always get
heat cracks. All the ones I have ever seen have them and also, they dont last
long. The slotted rotors work great. I've driven on a set of slotted vented 9.4"
rotors and could not get them to fade. Great brakes!

> I can't see spending $500 to $900 for larger disc brakes if I can
>prevent the fade on the size I have in there now.  I also don't think the
>gain in adding rear discs is justified with my limited resources $$$.
>Thanks.

What works for me, having a budget and staying within the rules of DSP. The best
combination I have found is a set of stock 9.4" vented rotors, Castrol GTLMA
fluid, Ferrodo brake pads (P/N 3466). Why this combination works for me is
because my car was origionally a solid rotor car. the vented rotors need a
thinner brake pad to work with my calipers. Lucky for me, one of the very best
brake pad comes thin just for my application. Im pretty much sold on the Ferrodo
pads.
Leave the rear drums alone. Changing them to rotors wont be cost effective (You
will have to change the master cylinder too) and also wont give very much to the
braking of the car.
Remember kids, take care of your brakes, and they will take care of you!

Shawn