Re: brakes again

On Mon, 3 Mar 1997, Shawn C. Meze wrote:

> At 02:04 AM 3/4/97 -0800, you wrote:
> >Hey all (not y'all), I can't find that string of messages on brakes from
> >a couple of weeks ago.  I was wondering if there is a real great
> >advantage with the larger disc brakes?
>

> In the world of brakes, bigger is better.

True to an extent, but on a lightweight car like a Scirocco I can't really
see the point of going to the 10.1" kit - I say this because I bought the
kit, and while it's pretty nice it doesn't improve braking enough to justify
a) the cost and b) the extra weight.  And, like Shawn said, they're not
legal for DSP (everyone here is racing in DSP, right? :).  I'm downgrading
mine right now to vented 9.4" rotors with Ferodo street pads - Shawn likes
those, they sure seem to work well on Mannix's GTI too.  The way I see it,
what ultimately governs stopping ability is tire traction - the trick is to
make it easy to moderate and fade-resistant, which good pads can do for
you.  Regarding rear disc conversions - also not worth it IMHO (PITA to do
it, plus don't the drums weigh less?).

Kevin Wenzel
1981 VW Scirocco S (w/1.8 JH) - DSP #81 (Blix)
Director of Network Operations, privateI, LLC
http://www.privateI.com/