Re: Alarm recommendations for 16v?

Todd sayeth:

>NEVER run the power wires to the engine compartment. The thief can easily
>break in, open the hood and rip out the power lead at the battery. Always
>obtain power inside the dash, as far from reach as possible. Always use a
>back up battery, too, mounted as far up inside the dash as possible. On my
>old  GTI I put the alarm brain and back-up battery up high, behind the guages
>in that metal-surrounded place above the steering column.
>Hide the siren in an out-of-reach spot, too. I like to put them in the tray
>with the wiper motor assembly. It's loud as hell and the plastic trim piece
>hides it from immediate view. For some reason, too, the sound seems to come
>fromeverywhere when the hood's up making it harder to quickly pinpoint the
>location. Siren wires need to be inaccessable, too.

*Lots of good advice deleted*

What do you mean by a back-up battery?  I'm pretty sure you don't mean a
full-size car battery inside the dash?  How should these be hooked up?

If the siren is in the tray, isn't it prone to getting water splashed into
the horn?

Where can I get good quality switches for the hood and hatch?  Are those
Ames brand switches good enough?  My S had an old alarm with switches that
were failing with the regularity of a Scirocco fuse box.

Anyone installed a hood lock on their cars (esp. Mk.1)?  Are those chain
type things pretty good?

A while ago in EC (or was it back in the VW&P days?) there was an easy
trick to allow the car to start but would stall after a short distance.  I
guess the advantage was that it wasn't as obvious in it's action as a kill
switch.  Anyone remember how to do this?

Thanks as usual, b------