Re: Alarm recommendations for 16v?

All of the above is excellent advise. Here are some things that MUST be done
when installing your alarm if you want it to be a success. The brand is far
less important that the installation.
NEVER run the power wires to the engine compartment. The thief can easily
break in, open the hood and rip out the power lead at the battery. Always
obtain power inside the dash, as far from reach as possible. Always use a
back up battery, too, mounted as far up inside the dash as possible. On my
old  GTI I put the alarm brain and back-up battery up high, behind the guages
in that metal-surrounded place above the steering column.
Hide the siren in an out-of-reach spot, too. I like to put them in the tray
with the wiper motor assembly. It's loud as hell and the plastic trim piece
hides it from immediate view. For some reason, too, the sound seems to come
fromeverywhere when the hood's up making it harder to quickly pinpoint the
location. Siren wires need to be inaccessable, too. Also, add a feature that
blows the factory horn. It takes a couple of relays to power the ground AND
positive since the VW's horns are ignition-on only.
Put in light-flash. This will attract visual attention to the car, as well,
and can make it easier to see when you arm or disarm the alarm.
At least kill the fuel and ignition, and use separate circuits to do so. It
doesn't hurt to add a separate, hidden kill for the fuel pump relay for those
high-risk neighborhoods.
There is no guarantee that a good thief won't get your car if he really wants
to, because he will. The secret is too make it too much work for him so he is
more likely to move on to the next car. Also remember that the more
attractive your car is to a potential thief the harder he'll be willing to
work to get it, and the harder you'll need to work to keep it. Hours and or
dollars spent on alarm installation might translate to years of driving your
car.
I installed high-end security systems for three years and as far as I know,
no car I equipped was ever successfully stolen. Believe me, if you cut
corners and your car is stolen you'll wish you had gone full-boat on the
alarm.
Hopefully I haven't left anything out, but I probably did so I might add a
bit later.

Todd