To bore, stroke, and breathe

(Game of 20 questions ahead)

Someday I'll be putting a 2.0 block under my 1.8 16v cylinder head.  I mean,
doesn't everyone with a 1.8 16v aspire to this? :-)  (maybe just a little?)

Anyway, I'd really like a _little_ bit more juice then your average 1.8->2.0
conversion so I'm considering modifing the 2.0 block.  I currently have
a Techtonics 2.25 SS exaust, so that side of the cylinder head breathes
well.  My driving style puts me below 4.5k RPMs 90% of the time, so mid
to low-end grunt is preferable.  However, I wouldn't want the engine to
run out of breath at the high end.  To that end, what modification(s) to
the 2.0 block would best suite me?

-Should I stroke the motor with one of the aftermarket cranks?
  -Can I retain the stock pistons if I do?
  -How much more torque/HP can I expect from this non-machining approach?
  -How much would the motors willingness to spin to 5k+ RPMs be affected?
-For better intake breathing, are 50mm intake runners (still) available for
 the Scirocco 16v anywhere?
  -Would an 'extrude-hone' on my current intake do the job with a more
   demanding motor?
-What overbore sizes are safe & reliable for the 2.0 16v?
  -What overbore pistons/gaskets are available?
  -How would the motors willingness to rev be affected?
-What is the wisdom on combining both a bore and stroke increase? (Ie. ratio
 to maintain, reliability)

Don't sugar-coat the cost, I'm not rich, but I'll save up for whatever the
best approach might be.

I'm not going to be getting into this tommorow, but I've been trying to
gather all the correct information to make informed decisions on how to
get maximum performance and where to spend my money the most wisely.
Thank you for any and all information.