Re: No A/C

> I really want to take out the a/c in my 80 Scirocco and I have a few
> questions.  I went to the junkyard this weekend and collected all the
> mounting hardware required to mount the alternator from a non a/c car.
>  At this time I also, tried to take out the a/c from another 80 VW.
>  Neither one of these jobs was very easy.  Enough about the first, I
> have some questions about removing the a/c from my own car.
> 1)	It seems like I have two radiators, will I need both of these once
> I get rid of the a/c?
> 2)	There are two hose coming from the a/c, one to the radiator, one
> goes into the cabin of the car, do I need to replace these hoses as a
> complete unit?  They don't seem like I can just unattach them from the
> a/c then attach them to the radiator.
> 3)	Are there any other little things I need to know about?
>
> Thanks,
>
> John
> 80 Scirocco S

John,
1) The one in the front is the a/c condensor, remove it & leave the
radiator in the same place.
2) You can either just disconnect the a/c hoses & leave them hanging( tie
strap them to the frame rail) or underneth the dash is the other
connection from the ones going through the firewall (this is the
evaporator,kinda small radiator) & pull them through. If you choose this
route you have to then plug up the hole in the firewall(If you dont it
will sound like the exhaust is in the passenger seat!!!)
3)Don't forget about changing all the pulley's, inc, crank,H2o pump,& alt.
If the car is still there that you got the alt brackets from the pulleys
should be right, just make sure that the H2o pump pulley has the same hub
size (30mm or 40mm) yours should have the 40mm FYI. You will also need a
9.5X950mm belt & new water pump bolts that go to the block( the a/c ones
are longer because they go through the a/c bracket also) Oh yeh you will
have to pull the timing belt covers off to be able to get the new left
bottom alt bracket underneath the right side motor mount bracket ( put a
jack under the motor so it cant move down when you loosen the bolts)
4)Make sure that you keep all the vacum lines that run to the box up in
the cowl connected or your changing of the vents inside will not work.
I would also suggest not removing the evaporator from under the dash.
Reason being is the cars with a/c have a hole cut out about 1-1&1/2 inches
bigger than the cars with no a/c & the heater box will not mount up. (I
found this out the hard way)
You may save some weight but not worth the hassle. You could just take out
the evaporator from the black plastic casing that it sits in & still
retain all your heater functions.
Pheeew
Good luck
Potterman
80 Scirocco "S" (booted the a/c years ago!)