Warning Light!

On my '87 16v the light on the water temp gauge blinks for about 5 seconds
when I first start the car (I assume this is normal) BUT sometimes it keeps
on flashing.  I can stop it if I turn the car off and re-start the car.  I
have checked the water level and it is fine.  What could cause this.
BTW I am new to the Watercoold VW world, My past experience with cars have
mostly been Mazda rotary engines.
Brandon Colvin
'87 16v
Nuspeed, Koni ,Me behind the wheel!