re:Clunking on my 84 8v

Dale,

It could be your front brake pads. I hear a metal on metal clank
everytime I go over a bump on the front driver's side. This happened
several years ago and, it required an anti-rattle clip. Making the
same noise now, clanks and chatters when going reverse too. When
brakes applied there's no noise though.

Wanted to fix it myself this time...there's 3 types of front disc
brakes: Girling, Teves and ???. Each has an anti-rattle clip of
sorts. Your repair manual will show the components of each and,
just requires you remove the wheel and look.

If it is this clip, not sure if they're sold individually. Anyhow
check out your right front, you may feel and see some movement on
your pads.

Regards,

Matt
86 8V Scirocco