loud fuel pump

The fuel pump om my 83 GTI makes an awful loud buzzing sound. It's not just
when I start up, it happens all the time. The other day it stalled out
while I was driving. Then it imediately started up again because the car
was rolling. That was a couple days ago. It's been running okay scince
then. I'm affraid my fuel pump is going. Does anyone know what that buzzing
is? Is it dangerous? I went through about 2 or 3 fuel pumps on my 84, it
seems like the pumps go a lot.

Any help would be appreciated

Keith Scharwath