gettin' horn-y

Sorry about the cornball subject; I hadn't reached my stupidity quota for the
day yet.

Thought I'd pass along an experience that may be news to no one but myself,
but about which I'm nonetheless tickled.  I once asked a buddy of mine who's a
savior of ailing cars if he knew of anything that could be done to fix a
nonfunctioning air horn.  He said that typically, they just need lubrication
(notice I'm leaving the double entendre opportunity well alone here).
Equipped with this knowledge, I set forth to have at the mostly inert hooter
(it only made a slight "ticka-ticka" sound when a button was pressed).

One 13mm bolt and a harness unplugging later, the dual unit was in hand.  I
started with the intellectual approach -- I shot the (what IS that word for
the open end of a horn?) open ends of the horns full o' WD-40.  Nothing.

Undaunted, I reexamined the assembly, and noticed each horn had a little
plastic cylinder mounted on it.  Messing with them caused them to come off
relatively easily in my hand, and beneath them I discovered little Torx bolts.
 The cylinders had been held in place with what appeared to be some sort of
Teflon/silicon solidified goo, which I surmised was there to keep out
moisture.

I removed them, and repeated my spraying efforts.  They didn't hold much.
Tried the buttons again.  Diddly.  Replaced the Torx bolts.  BLAAAATTTT!!!

Nifty.  Thinking on it further, I think that maybe these bolts may be used to
adjust the pitch, but I haven't experimented with that yet.  I noted that they
went back in further than they were in the first place, so I backed off them a
bit.

So, was this news only to me?

After that, I cobbled together a means for ensuring that my ventilation
control mechanism not didn't either bind against itself, come disengaged from
the vacuum valve, or shatter into a gazillion pieces, but I've had to do that
with the last two I had, and assume most of you have too, so I'll not bore you
with it.