Re: Oil Pressure too high.

At 11:24 AM 6/7/97 -0400, you wrote:
>Hello All,
>I just put new oil presssure switches & a cheapo mechanical guage in my
>1.8-8v rabbit and whammo the guage reads as high as 60-80 psi when
>accellerating in a normal manner.  Oil Pressure is supposed to be around
>28or9 right???  So, what do you think is the culprit?  I would guess the oil
>pump but how could it make the pressure that high?    I know how to replace
>the damn thing and luckily I have a good very good used one; I just don't
>know how to diagnose everything.  Thanks for your help in advance.
>
>DANMAY
>8716VScirocco
>83GTi

Sounds like the el' cheapo mech guage may be the problem. If you do have oil
pressure that high, I wouldnt consider it a problem with the pump. More than
likely, your oil passages are blocked. (Ohmygawd! Your engine's gonna have a
heart attack! Code 3, STAT! ) Id have the gauge checked first before tearing
into the motor.
I have 50 psi on the freeway and about 15psi at idle. The spec numbers should
be something like 28psi @ 2,000 rpms.  (My VDO sez Ive got 40 psi.)
HTH!

Shawn
86' Jetta GLi