Re: Oxy sensor probs

Jay Docherty wrote:

> Well this might sound really stupid but I cannot find the wire that
> plugs into the oxy sensors wire.  I know where it should be but its
> not there.  Incase you havn't been following my saga I just finished
> putting a 1.8 in my 80 scirocco.
>
> When I start the car it idles fine and the EGR lights doesn't come
> on.  When I look in the bently it says the "smog" sciroccos should
> have a oxy sensor and it isn't a smog scirocco.  The old exhaust
> manifold had a oxy sensor but I don't remember if it was plugged in.
> What happens if you run without a oxy sensor?
>
>                                       Jay
> '80 Scirocco 1.8 8v

 I ran my '81 Rabbit without the sensor. I used the 'idle mixture'
adjustment to compensate and was still able to get 27 miles to the
gallon. The only reason that the idle mixture screw in the fuel meter
assembly controls only the idle mixture is that when the o2 sensor is in
place, it makes adjustments "on top of it". With the sensor
disconnected, the car runs rich but you have linear control with the
screw. As I recall,
the screw is between the fuel distributer and the venturi (sp?). On some
models it is covered with a plug that will have to be drilled.

  Ray   -  81 Scirocco_S (1.8L, G-grind, Carb, Hydrolic lifters)
        -  81 Rabbit_L   (Burned so bad that not even a scew can be
re-used)