Oil Pressure too high.

Hello All,
I just put new oil presssure switches & a cheapo mechanical guage in my
1.8-8v rabbit and whammo the guage reads as high as 60-80 psi when
accellerating in a normal manner.  Oil Pressure is supposed to be around
28or9 right???  So, what do you think is the culprit?  I would guess the oil
pump but how could it make the pressure that high?    I know how to replace
the damn thing and luckily I have a good very good used one; I just don't
know how to diagnose everything.  Thanks for your help in advance.

DANMAY
8716VScirocco
83GTi