Oxy sensor probs

Well this might sound really stupid but I cannot find the wire that
plugs into the oxy sensors wire.  I know where it should be but its
not there.  Incase you havn't been following my saga I just finished
putting a 1.8 in my 80 scirocco.

When I start the car it idles fine and the EGR lights doesn't come
on.  When I look in the bently it says the "smog" sciroccos should
have a oxy sensor and it isn't a smog scirocco.  The old exhaust
manifold had a oxy sensor but I don't remember if it was plugged in.
What happens if you run without a oxy sensor?

                                      Jay
'80 Scirocco 1.8 8v

Check out the Watercooled VW gallery...
             http://idt.net/~volkswgn