Re: benefits of running mechanical lifters

The benefit of solid (what you have called "mechanical") lifters is more
predictable valve movement at high rpm.  A hydraulic lifter will allow an
increase in valve lash (the clearance between the lifter and the heel of
the cam lobe) at high rpm, which effectively reduces the lift of the cam
-- Not a good thing for performance.  The solid lifters can deliver full
lift at any rpm.  When stiffer valve springs are used to reduce valve
float at high rpm, the hydraulic lifter lash issue is more apparent.

The benefits of hydraulic lifters are not to be overlooked however.  They
are maintenance free (no valve adjustments), hold more accurate valve
clearance than solid lifters in normal use, and are quieter.

Michael Daily
for sale: Used HP Laserjet III, good condition, $400