Re: benefits of running mechanical lifters

At 02:35 AM 6/5/97 -0400, you wrote:
>I am just wondering what the benifits of running mechanical lifters over hydraulice
>lifters would be. I see a lot of race engines and high cmpression engines being run
>with the mechanical lifters and it just doesn't make sense to me! Is this because
you
>can manually adjust them?  How would that help?

In a nutshell, the hyd lifters adjust themselves. So if there is wear of any kind,
or the valved have beaten the seats to where it would cause the valve clearance to
change, the hyd lifters automatically adjust them for you. No removing the valve
cover, no cranking by hand a few dozen times, no messy and sometimes difficult
removal of the shims ect. Its all done for you.

Now, the bad part about the hyd lifters is they are dependant on proper oil
pressure. Sometimes the oil gets hot and the oil pressure just isnt what it needs to
be. That in combination with the aging proccess of hyd lifters themselves not
working properly with a low but within oil pressure specs, you get some really loud,
rattling lifters at idle and hopefully at higher rpm's it clears up. ( very
annoying)Start up in my GLi always has some lifter noise for about 15-30 seconds
when its cold. After that, its quiet.

A good example of this is Randy Walters Gti. After a race, his car is so loud people
stand around it waiting for it to blow! He has got over 230,000 miles on the engine
and as you know, none of them were easy. (Its been a dedicated autox car for about
the last 6-7 years now so it only gets driven to races, raced hard and driven home
again.)

Hope that about covers it for you?

Shawn
86' Jetta GLi