Date: Mon, 2 Jun 1997 19:45:38 -0500 (CDT)
To: David Nichols <David.Nichols@andataco.com>
From: ChuckKuecker <ckuecker@mcs.net>
Subject: Re: COPS!

At 17:14 6/2/97 PDT, you wrote:
>I hope that subject got your attention! I just had my "other" car impounded
>today because it wont pass smog. How fair and "JUST" is it to charge CA car
>owners BILLIONS of dollars so that we can improve our environment. We live next
>to a country that has no such regulations and is probably alot of the
problem onboth sides of our borders. I don't understand some of the bull we
have to go through to opperate our vehicles. I don't think that New York has
smog certs or
>Oregon for that matter. I hate having to dump alot of money into smogging
my car
>every other year. I can barely afford to keep it on the road.My "other" car is
>not a VW so please don't get on me about affordability of parts and fixing it.
>It is a FORD TEMPO piece of junk.
>
>Is anyone on the list a police officer? If you are please stop reading unless
>you intend on helping me! Are all cops as mean and rude as they are in San
Diego? I am young and have been pulled over for some of the lamest reasons
>imagineable! The officer in question this afternoon was the worst one yet. He
>impounded my car, Gave me a non-dismissible violation(that he had to go out of
>his way to do) and he was a complete jerk the whole time. How come you give a
>guy a badge and a gun and the turn into an all-powerful hero(to themselves) I
>know that some are cool but the ones in San Diego are horrible. I think they
>might have some "issues" with themselves or something.
>
>I just needed to vent!
>
>Thanks,
>David
>San Diego, CA
>davidn@andataco.com
>
>P/S if anyone has some thoughts on this please feel free to share them. Also if
>you are a police officer feel very free I really want to know what goes through
>your heads!
>
>PPS I am going to replace my "other" car with a Scirocco(that makes it scirocco
>related!)

I know California has the nastiest smog laws around, but it sounds to me
like you did *something* to get the officer's attention...

What was the reason for the impoundment? Are you accused of illegal
equipment, drag racing, or what?

Around here MOST of the cops are reasonable, but I have heard horror stories
about the Cook County Sheriff's Police outside Chicago - real corrupt SOBs,
many of them - seeing the politics in Chicago and suburbs, that's not
unexpected.

I only had one incident where a cop was really nasty - and I was doing
something really stupid at the time!

More details, please!

Chuck Kuecker

ckuecker@mcs.net