Fuel Ventilation

     I have talked to numerous mechanics etc, about this, they say it is
     normal, but I doubt it.

     Here is the situation.  When my fuel level drops from a full tank, I
     can hear noises coming from the fuel cap area.  I can also notice some
     performance variations (low end).  REMOVING the fuel cap lets out some
     major venting.  If my fuel was Champagne it would launch itself clear
     accross the Gas station.  In fact at one point gas did shoot out of
     the filler neck when I removed the cap.  At a 1/4 tank remaining and
     after a driving for a few minutes removing the gas cap is followed by
     up to 30 seconds of psssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss,
     venting of the tank.

     I have tried different gas caps, my tank was replaced under the recall
     campaing (my guess is the failure of the Scirocco II tanks venting is
     why they fail in the first place).

     At least 5 mechanics said this was normal.  Some venting yes, but when
     fuel jumps back out of the tank I don't think so.  This condition has
     existed since I've owned it (5yrs), and I figure I'd throw this out to
     the list members.

     Any comments, suggestions,
     -Paul

     87 Scirocco 16v