Fuel fumes: the obscure "charcoal cannister"

Underneath the passenger side fender, we have the charcoal cannister (in
8Vs) that supposedly takes fumes coming from the fuel lines that do not
get burned, passes them through the "charcoal" which serves as a cleaning
agent, and then sends them back to burn.

I have had fuel smell for about 4 years now in my car. It is noticeable
only in the summer (I suppose because of higher temperatures). When I
close the windows and turn on the AC the smell becomes very obvious,
which means that the leak is coming from somewhere inside the engine
compartment, and is not big enough to witness by eye (it probably comes
out as liquid, but evaporates within a second).

I thought it must have been something with one of my fuel lines, and I
was set to replace the whole she-bang including the fuel distributor.
Then it dawned on me that it could be this charcoal cannister deal that
is causing this crap.

Has any of you experienced a similar problem? I have examined the rubber
hoses that go in and out of the cannister and found nothing evident. I am
thinking of replacing the cannister itself because it might be leaky.

Any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks,
	Ilias