starting woes

  My 79 isnt starting.  I checked the 12 gauge wire that goes to
terminal 50 from the ignition switch to see if it gets juice to the
solenoid and I get 7 volts.  Is that too little or is it designed that
way?  I know a friend of mine had a rabbit with a similar problem that
when it got to hot the car wouldnt start.  Could this be the same
situation.  The main 6 guage wire to terminal 30 from the positive post on
the battery to the solenoid is fine so I know that aint the problem.
So, I could either have a bad solenoid, starter and or wiring problem.
Any suggestions.  BTW, how much does a OEM solenoid or starter run for?

  Andre'